Communication is important in the construction industry to have successful completion of any construction project. With good communication practice, it can enhance teamwork, productivity, and better project collaboration.
However, miscommunication has been one of its biggest problems, most especially for project managers in terms of keeping tracking of progress and communicating with the employees. Because of this, it can lead to poor communication which can cause delays, issues, and misunderstandings along the way.
This is why improving communication in the construction site should be practiced.
When communication issues arise, it usually takes a long time to fix which can be a waste of both time and money. Having a good flow of communication is essential as it affects the flow of a construction project.
These issues or problems occur when people don’t communicate effectively, so it is best for everyone to collaborate and communicate more responsibly to make the project run smoothly and be completed according to the time and budget planned.
In order to have a hassle-free project that will run smoothly, here are ways on how to improve communication on a construction site:
- Hold Meetings Regularly It is important to regularly hold meetings with various employees every week, which will confirm the project’s plans and what is expected of staff onsite. It will also provide a space to develop meeting notes, which must be circulated to all members of staff.
- Ensure All Employees Can Understand You As we live in a multicultural society, not all your employees may speak English as their first language. Every employer has a responsibility to ensure staff onsite are safe and protected, which is why they must provide the appropriate bilingual signage and training. It might also be beneficial to hire an interpreter at work to translate instructions and health and safety warnings.
- Be Clear Transparency is an important factor that allows people to understand that what you say is what you mean and aren’t that lets people know you mean what you say and that you’re honest. Be sure to make your words and actions match. This is also to build trust in your crew and also your clients.
- Encourage Communication In addition to holding both formal and informal meetings, encourage employees to continually communicate with one another. For example, they should provide each other with updates on a project to remain on schedule, or state if they unexpectedly need to leave the site for a short or long period of time. As a result, it can create a more productive, safer environment for everyone.
- Practice Equal Treatment Identify standards that define your beliefs and practices and uphold them while communicating with your crew. If you treat your staff differently or if you’re not treating them in a uniform way, then people might talk and find out that weren’t being fair. It differs in every situation, but issues like this can lead to lawsuits that make accusations of discriminatory practices in the workplace.
- Talk to Each Team Member Talking to the members as a team is great as it encourages a collaborative spirit among the workers, but it is also important to set time for each member to guide them individually. There may be some things about specific team members that require a different approach to communication. An example of this would be having a worker who has hearing loss in one ear, so making the routine of approaching that worker to talk to him from the unaffected side and instruct the others to do the same is a good way to have clearer communication.
- Have Training Let your crew enhance their skills and gain new ones by organizing continuous training on new equipment, software, apps, safety features, and regulation. This way it will not only benefit your crew but also your business and the flow of your projects as well. Following this tip will not only improve communication and strengthen the relationship between the company and the employees, but it will also lessen the chances of crew members resigning or leaving because they will feel like they are permanent for the position and that they are valued by the company.Investing in training employees may seem like an advantage for the company because they will have more skilled employees, but a company that offers training is something that employees see as an opportunity that they should not missed.
- Choose the right method of communication In the construction industry, communication can be through signs, hand signals, drawings, meetings, and a lot more. Daily reports and photos are also compiled. It is vital to choose the right communication method that can simplify all these things while also making communication with everyone much clearer and easier.
What most construction companies do that is both effective and simple is using a software that allows you to communicate with your team, upload photos, videos, documents, schedule tasks, track time, monitor tasks, and more.
These software and mobile applications are a great tool to communicate effectively and enhance productivity. Having software that becomes the point of communication for everyone will make it easier to send important documents, files, photos, videos, read work updates in real-time, and it can even save you a trip in coming to work for an announcement.
Final Thoughts/ Conclusion
Communication is a key element in ensuring a project’s success.
If proper communication is practiced consistently, it allows the team to talk to each other clearly and concisely, thus increasing collaboration while avoiding issues such as misunderstanding, and following unclear instructions. Apart from that, the flow of the project becomes smoother if the team consistently communicate with each other.
We highly recommend following the tips we offered above in order to improve the communication between the team. Encourage proper communication in the workplace by using software that possesses all the qualities we have just mentioned above.
One software that possesses all these qualities and is trusted by many is Pro Crew Schedule.
It offers a wide range of features for managing schedules and improving communication and efficiency. It increases productivity not only through effective communication, but it also has multitasking features for faster and better project delegation.
If you want to improve communication and amplify productivity in the construction site, avail the Pro Crew Software and let it help you have clearer swifter communications.