Although painting seems to be like a reasonably risk-free job, the very truth is, painting is capable of causing serious and severe bodily harm especially when the right safety precautions are not taken responsibly. One particular reason for this was that paint has come from or made out of various mixed chemicals. Unprotected skin and eyes can be directly affected from paint and can severely cause irritations.
For paint professionals, it is crucial for them to know what personal protection is really all about now that the nature of their work is proven to be risky. It’s also equally crucial for them to get used to the application of advanced software tools like the project management software that is essential to the overall management of the project and the painting services they provide. Going back to the main subject, PPEs are for safety and health during and outside working hours.
This blog will dive into many areas: different types of paint-related risks, the importance of using the right PPE, and some of the most common PPEs used by professional painters and contractors.
Types of Painting and Its Related Risks
- Brush Painting
This type of painting is the usual common type of painting. It is typically used in painting woods, such examples include door frames and window sills and other wood work. It can also be applied for walls and for decorative painting styles. There have been many painting methods presently – traditional and advanced painting methods that are being applied interchangeably depending on many factors. Contractors have to keep updated with any latest trends in this particular trade and apart from the emerging advanced methods and practices for painting, it is equally important to be updated with all builder trends as well.
The risks that are directly associated with this type of painting has included:
- Paint splashes to the eyes
- Spills on the skin
- Can cause breathing issues and severe headaches
- Roller Application
This particular application of paint is many times used for ceilings and interior walls. The risks might sound very unconvincing for some but it really does damage to the painter’s body. It’s very important for the contractors to be hands-on to the entire crew of whether the subcontractors are following safety precautions while painting. One way to best manage the whole team is the use of a construction schedule software. Real-time collaboration, crew tracking, and monitoring is best achieved.
The risks of such an application include the following:
- Paint splashes both eyes and skin
- Sustaining an injury due to extreme working in an unbalanced position
- Respiratory risks
- Painting at Heights
Usually most professional painters are hired to paint at extreme high-level areas which can really be dangerous. Those who are working at high heights are in need to take numerous safety precautions since a fall can really be fatal.
- Falling off a stepladder and injury could be fatal is one of its greatest risks.
Take note of the importance of implementing construction crew management for the team of professional painters. Through with this, an orientation for safety protocols is well-explained and team productivity improves.
- Spray painting
This painting is usually used often for large surface areas such as exteriors of buildings and lobbies that are usually spacious. Most of the risks can also be dangerous and that is the very main reason why health and safety precautions should be implemented and followed.
- Risks include paint particles, as well as fumes, might run down the eyes
- The fumes could irritate the respiratory system
Additionally, even activities where painting preparations and cleanup are involved can ultimately brink a certain number of risks. Wooden surfaces, for example, can affect the hands and leave scraps onto it just because it wasn’t sanded. A paint thinner that is used for cleaning paint brushes can also lead to danger, if thinner is widely exposed to high heat or open flame, it can immediately catch fires and could cause serious burns or anyone. On the other side, contractors have to level up their way of executing such processes and methods of painting. A cloud-based best construction management software like Pro Crew Schedule is best applied in order to efficiently handle projects from the very start to finish.
Picking the Correct PPE to Use
The use of Personal Protective Equipment is extremely important when being exposed to any hazards that cannot be controlled or eliminated. Contractors need to further orient the team about the importance of it since their tasks include team orientation, project scheduling management, crew supervising and other-related tasks.
For as long as possible, it is a must-do to eliminate the hazard before the time of exposure, this is necessary because PPE materials only form or provide a barrier between the painter and the hazard. Picking the incorrect PPE lead is more like risking yourself directly to the exposure and painters like you may severely harmed.
Choosing the right and best protective equipment come in a few considerations. Bear in mind the following steps to be followed:
- Risk Analysis
- Determining the necessary protection level
- Choosing the best yet right protective gear
- Maintaining and checking it properly
For professional painters who have either commercial or residential painting projects, to keep yourself extra safe, the following PPE is absolutely necessary to have:
- Gloves –gloves are very important since it provides protection to both hands. Cloth or leather gloves are definitely sufficient enough for sanding. It is the solvent-resistant gloves that are typically required for handling any solvents and paint thinner is one of those common solvents handled by these professional painters. In addition, impermeable gloves are best used for water and oil-based type of paint.
Several best brands for painting gloves are listed below:
Key Features: best suitable for paint use, abrasion resistant to any woodwork, thin, and incredibly flexible for tactile tasks.
Key Features: excellent protection from abrasion and cuts while dexterity is maintained, strong, and firm grip for ladder while climbing, breathable, flexible.
- Paint Masks – during sanding, wearing a particulate respirator or commonly referred to as dust mask is necessary. There could be a painter who is part of the team that are quite sensitive to chemicals and it is the obligation of a contractor to find out who is that crew since it is part of managing the team and to manage tasks as well. Hence, paint masks must’ve to use. During spray painting, it is best advised to use the paint respirator since this item is offering more protection for the airways.
Several best brands for pain masks are listed below:
Key features: high-quality adjustable straps, adjustable neck strap by way of magnetic clip, maximize protection from all tiny particles reduce or down to 0.1 microns
Key Features: Maintenance-free design, Working up to 40 hrs. and for lightweight solvent and 8 hrs. For heavy solvent, Best for spray painting projects
Key Features: offering a much more money-back guarantee, Reusable and greatly compatible with 3M cartridges, Used for multiple purposes
- Eye Wear – using protective eye glasses is very crucial, face shield and eye googles particularly when handling different paint and paint thinners. It is specifically essential when applying spray painting and also sanding.
Several best brands for eye wear are listed below:
Key features: has ventilation channel for fog controlling, has the rubber steal ensuring no gaps exist, adjustable head strap
Key Features: Seal between the face and lens is polymeric, has the best adhesive value and extremely resilient, the ventilation gives better results while fog-free, the ability to wear the prescription glasses underneath
Key Features: An all-around googles designed to provide protection for the eyes against airborne particles, Provides convenience in two ways: interior and exterior UV extremes, Interior: UV extreme anti-fog coating, Exterior: Ultra-dura anti-scratch, Googles have 99.9% protection from UV rays
- Fall Arrest– probably a fall arrest system will protect even more and this system is comprised of either a single or double carabiner that is usually attached to the railings. This is necessary in order to prevent professional painters from falling. This item often comes with a harness that will firmly strap around the legs and torso for added safety.
Several best brands for fall arrest systems are listed below:
Key Features: Has a complete set that includes: lifeline rope, stanchion post, horizontal lifelines and other system accessories, High quality pieces of protective items designed to further protect workers, Other system accessories are provided like rope clamps, wire ropes and anchors
Key Features: Included both on-body and off-body products, On-body products are designed to lessen the impact of fall, the off-body products like skylight guards and guardrails are installed on physical structure
- Coveralls and shoe covers – disposable shoe covers and cotton coverall serve to offer protection for the clothing or any skin that is barely exposed during work that could lead to severe irritation during a contact with paint.
Several best brands for coveralls are listed below:
Key Features: Breathable particle protection, the lower surface has minimal effect, provides high-performance and efficient protection
Offers a wearer a high-quality and high-degree of protection from non-hazardous liquids,
Reliable protection against airborne particles, Has high resistance towards abrasion
Key Features: Single use protective clothing that is breathable, design in order to efficiently protect from contamination of particles, protection from chemical splashes, it is disposable
Making the best choices when it comes to PPE certainly necessitates better judgement, a sound understanding of general hazards and a detailed knowledge of all technical principles and standards about personal protection. And it has been clear that PPEs truly are an important resource to have. Painting professionals definitely rely on many things and PPEs are always on the top-list.